Stay positive despite another lockdown looming!
Updated: Jul 25, 2022
This article was adapted for GRAZIA
Since the 1980s maintaining a positive mindset has been linked to Greater life satisfaction, A higher “cheerfulness” rating, Lower reports of depression, Better health eg: lower blood pressure, lower risk of cardiac events and even longer life, A greater sense of wellbeing – but the uncertainty under which we’ve been living for the last 18 months has done a lot to dampen our spirits.
With another lockdown looming, here are five simple ways to boost your spirits:
1. Stimulate curiosity by walking a different local route taking a moment to recognise and even photograph something from a different angle. Look for beauty that you may have otherwise overlooked on your regular path. Or learn about and visit a local point of interest.
2. Go “off grid”, or alternatively take yourself to a place where you can embrace the vastness and beauty of nature. Not only will you benefit from the Vitamin D and serotonin stimulated by sunlight, but in taking in your environment it might help clear some headspace and let you filter through what’s really important.
3. If you’ve always fancied yourself as a writer or a creator – take advantage of any alone, or down- time and take the plunge – you might produce the next best seller, or you might decide there are other things you prefer to do(!)…another lockdown doesn’t mean baking banana bread alone – consider other skills you might want to develop.
4. Laughter produces endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers – so watch a funny video, call up friends who make you feel good, or watch a comedy. You might even want to try a YouTube dance class – perhaps on a conference call with friends.
5. Makes sure your “feel good” choices feel good to YOU! Recognising your personal needs can be very effective when it comes to self-care.
- Note when you are enjoying something.
- Decide if that activity energises or relaxes you.
- Decide what you need and when picking from the list of things you enjoy.
Dr Audrey Tang is a chartered psychologist and author with a specialty in the "how to take action", rather than just giving explanation and advice. Listen to her podcast Retrain Your Brain here; and catch her practical masterclasses Psych Back to Basics on DisruptiveTV & Energy Top Up for resilience. For self development tools based within positive psychology: click Her YouTube Channel . Twitter/IG @draudreyt